All you need to know about our becoming a certified transcriber and working for us
Scribie offers a great opportunity to augment your income by transcribing audio files for us. The work involves listening to the audio files and typing it as accurately as possible. The job is fully remote and you can choose your files. We pay by the length of the audio file and the pay rate varies from $5 per audio hour to $20 per audio hour. We also provide a free automated transcript to make it easier for you. You just need to go through a test process to become certified as a transcriber.
After certification, you can be promoted to a Reviewer, Proofreader and QC on good performance. For each submission, your Scribie account will be credited with the appropriate dollar amount. We do not assign any files; you get to pick and choose your work. Earnings will accumulate in your account and you can transfer it to your PayPal account anytime. From PayPal, the funds can be transferred to your bank account. There are no monthly commitments or minimum withdrawal limits. Payments are made once a day.
If you are an experienced transcriber and have spare time, then Scribie.com can help you to fill that up. If you are starting your career as a transcriptionist then you can gain valuable experience and hone your skills.
We have been in business since 2008. We have transcribed more than 9M minutes and have more than 81K customers and 50K certified transcribers till date.
The following are the requirements for this remote home-based job.
- Laptop or desktop computer
- Headphone or earphone
- Verified PayPal account
- Broadband connection
- Good comprehension of English
- Ability to interpret conversations
- Ability to apply context and identify mistakes
We send payments via PayPal and we require a Verified PayPal account in order to be eligible for this program. It is a necessary requirement and cannot be relaxed. In order to verify your PayPal account, it has to be linked to a bank account and/or credit card depending upon your country. Please check the PayPal FAQ for the exact process. If you do not have a PayPal account already then please sign up for one and get it verified before applying. It is free to sign up for PayPal.
This requirement is specifically to ensure that you are able to receive the money when we transfer your earnings to your PayPal account. A Verified PayPal account indicates that you are able to successfully transfer your earnings to a bank account eventually. It also helps us save on support costs for payments related issues.
You can specify any PayPal account as long as it's Verified and not in use already. It can also be changed later on. The PayPal account is not used for any purpose other than funds transfer. We do not support any other payment methods currently.
We follow a 4-step transcription process. Each step is described below.
As a certified transcriber you can login to your account anytime, select a file submit. The earnings will be credited to your account when your file is delivered to the customer. You can obviously preview the file to check the quality and accents and before selecting.
We pay $5 to $20 per audio hour.
We pay by audio hour and not the actual time spent working on it. The payment for 6 minute file therefore can vary from $0.5 to $2.
The earnings are credited to your Scribie account and it accumulates there. It can be transferred to your PayPal account anytime by submitting a withdrawal request. There is no minimum withdrawal limit. The funds will be sent to your PayPal account in 1 business day.
There is no restriction on the number of files you can submit each day. Therefore your earning capacity depends solely on your ability and the time you can dedicate.
There are no application fees or any other charges.
The following is the steps you need to go through to get certified as a transcriber on Scribie.
Post certification, you can login to your Scribie account with your email address and password and select any available file. Files are available on a first-come, first-serve basis and assigned to the first person who selects them. You can select as many files as you want but you can have only one assignment at a time. The assignments have to be submitted within 2 hours with one allowed extension for an hour. You may also cancel your assignment. There are no penalties for cancellation or timeouts.
Your account will be credited with the respective dollar amount for the file once the file is delivered to the customer. The earnings will keep accumulating on your account till you submit a withdrawal request to transfer the earnings to your PayPal account. All withdrawal requests are processed in 1 business day. There are no minimum limits on withdrawals. However a fee of 2% is charged if the amount is less than $30.
We also provide you with an certified profile page and an embeddable widget which you can display on your blog or website. The certificate accredits you as an audio transcriber on Scribie and lists your work experience and performance history. You can use this certificate as a reference for the transcription work done on Scribie, if required.
The transcription guideline is a set of rules that should be always followed. Therefore please adhere to these as strictly as possible.
Do not violate these rules
- The raw transcript should not contain text other than the spoken audio. No headers/footers, speaker tracking, time-codes, comments etcetera.
- No part of the audio should be omitted, unless specified otherwise by an instruction or another guideline.
- Inaudible parts should be omitted and marked with a blank
- Laughter should be omitted and marked with
... should be used to indicate unfinished sentences or mid-sentence pauses.
gotta, should not be expanded.
- Numbers one to nine should be transcribed in letters and numerals otherwise, except for measurements.
- A new paragraph should be started at each change of speaker and paragraphs should be separated by an empty line.
- Fillers (
basically), false starts, stutters and partial words should be omitted, except for strict verbatim files.
- Utterances should be omitted for non-strict verbatim files, unless necessary. For strict verbatim files, only the following utterances should be transcribed:
Mm-hmm if in agreement,
Uh-huh if in disagreement,
- Strict verbatim files are indicated with an instruction. Files without the instruction should be considered as non-strict verbatim.
- Blanks that are filled during the Review, Proofreading and QC steps are considered as major mistakes (except for names and acronyms).
- For Guideline VII, measurements are considered as anything which has a unit (kg, ml, currency units, etcetera).
- For Guideline IX, the filler words specified have to be frequently repeated by a speaker during the conversation to be considered a filler. In-frequent usage of those words should be transcribed.
- False starts are when the speaker starts a statement but immediately corrects it to something else.
- For Guideline IX, all files are non-strict verbatim by default. Strict verbatim files are indicated by an instruction on the file. Therefore if the instruction is not present, all utterances, fillers, false starts, stutters should be omitted. If the instruction is present, nothing should be omitted and the raw transcript should match the audio word for word.
- The only case when an utterance is required in a non-strict verbatim file is when it is a response to a direct question. The unless necessary part of Guideline X specifies that.
The following are some styles that we recommend. Please note that this list is not exhaustive. If you require additional guidance, please contact support.
- Punctuations are free style. Please use your discretion on placement of commas, periods, semicolons, exclamations etc.
- Spelling styles are different for each file and the styles suggested by the spell check should be followed.
- All proper nouns should be first letter capitalized, e.g., names of places, person, organizations, job titles, etcetera.
- Spelled out names should be all capitalized and separated by hyphens. E.g.
etcetera instead of etc.
i.e., instead of ie.
e.g., instead of Eg.
All right are both acceptable.
- A statement can begin with an
- Generic drug names should be all lowercase and branded drug names should be first letter capitalized. Google once to check if they are generic or branded.
- Special marking schemes for phonetics and spelling should not be used. Blanks should be used instead.
- Periods should not be used in acronyms. E.g.
PhD instead of Ph.D.
- The following examples further illustrates Transcription Guideline VII.
March 2, 2012
5 miles per hour
6 x 10,
5 feet 2 inches
213 2nd Street
- Era: in your
20s, in the
The following is a sample transcript which illustrates the formatting required for raw transcripts. Please note the following:
- There is no speaker tracking, eg. interviewer/interviewee, person 1/person 2 etc. There are also no time codes. Both of these are not required for raw transcript.
- The transcript is broken into paragraphs on each change of speaker. Each speakers continuous diction is on one single paragraph and paragraphs are separated by empty lines.
- Inaudible parts are marked with a blank,
____ to make it stand out from the rest of the transcript. These blanks may or may not get filled during review, but are always checked.
Freelance Transcription Job FAQs
Audio transcription is the process of converting an audio/video file into a document. The work involves lisenting to audio files and typing them out.
$5 to $20 per audio hour, i.e., $0.5 to $2 for a 6 minute file. We pay by the length of the file instead of the actual time spent working on it or by the number of pages typed. Audio hour is denoted by the 'ah' literal.
Our pay rate is comparable, if not more than the other freelancing websites. However we are a global service and depending on your location, skill level and many other factors, the effective pay rate may be lower than the minimum wage for you. If it is, we would recommend that you do not sign up.
We pay for the length of the audio file rather than the amount of time it takes for you to transcribe.
The turn around time is 2 hours for files shorter than 6 minutes. For longer files, it is 4x the duration, i.e., 4 hours for a 1 hour file.
We have all kinds of files, except medical transcription. It can be classified as general transcription which includes business, legal, dictation, etc.
We support only English at the moment. Support for other languages is on our roadmap. Please join our newsletter to get notified once we release it.
The files are around 6-10 minutes for transcription and review stages, longer for other stages.
The average is around 45 minutes if you type, 18 minutes if you use the automated transcript. It will vary depending on your comprehension ability, typing speed, quality of the audio file, etc.
Yes, but please practice
and check if you are able to finish within 2 hours. It may not work for you otherwise. We also provide automated transcripts which reduces the typing effort. You can just correct the automated transcript and submit.
As many as you wish. We do not have any limits on the number of submissions per day. However you can have only one selected assignment at a time.
No, the payment rate is dependent solely on the difficulty level of the file.
No. However we pay a daily bonus for the proofreading and QC stages once the required amount of work is met.
It varies from 36 hours to 7 days. For a majority of the files, the payment is made within 36 hours. The payment is made only when the file has been delivered to the customer.
On an average, around 350 files were added each day during the past 3 months.
Yes. However you have to be in a country supported by PayPal as we only support payments through PayPal. You will also need a Verified PayPal account to apply.
No, we currently support only PayPal.
You can transfer the funds to your bank account via bank transfer or check from your PayPal account.
PayPal is a popular payment service which can be used to send and receive money. Please visit https://www.paypal.com
and Terms of Service
to learn about the rules that govern all the data associated with your Scribie.com account.
Yes, we use the industry standard technology called the oAuth protocol to check your PayPal account status. The password is never shared with us. We only receive information about your account from PayPal. It is the same technology which is used in Facebook Connect where you login on other websites with Facebook without sharing your password.
Unfortunately, the information we receive from PayPal indicates that your account is Un-Verified. Please contact PayPal support to resolve the issue.
You have to link your PayPal account with your bank account or credit card. Please check the PayPal Verification FAQ
Please apply once your verification is complete. We reject applications in which the PayPal account supplied are un-verified.
Yes, as long as they are not already in use by someone else on Scribie.com.
Since we use PayPal for the payment processing, we are restricted to countries supported
3. TRANSCRIPTION TEST
Test files are raw transcription files applicants at Scribie need to pass to get certified with us.
None, that is a remnant of the old application process we had that no longer applies when we updated the application process.
Yes, if you do not check regularly, as the available test files depends on our workload and the current number of applicants.
Unfortunately no. However you can always spread the word about Scribie.com on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, website and other places and help us get more customers. More work load will accelerate the pace at which the test invites are sent and shorten your waiting period.
No. You can take the test at your convenience.
For an indefinite period.
One, unless you fail and have to re-take it.
Files are added on a first come first serve basis and assigned to the first person who selects them. Please wait for new files to be added. A notification will be sent to your email address as soon as new files are available.
Yes. The file has to go through all the 4 steps of our transcription process for us to evaluate it correctly, which can only happen if the files are live.
Yes. Please keep checking. New test files are added every day.
Unfortunately, we cannot predict when the next set of test files will be added. Please wait for the email notification and check as soon as you receive it.
Yes, but only after 6 months. Please practice
before taking the test.
No, the limit is fixed at 10 and cannot be increased. We provide 10 attempts so that if you lose an attempt inadvertently, you are still covered. Therefore please use your attempts judiciously.
No, you have to be an certified transcriber to get the commission.
No. You have to report your earnings in your tax returns and pay income tax as per your country's laws.
No. You will be paid on hourly basis for the work done and considered as self-employed.
No, there are no fees or charges.
Unfortunately, no. Only individuals are eligible for this program.
Terms & Conditions
The following are the terms and conditions: