Scribie Audio/Video Transcription Service
- 1 Submit application
- 2 Take the online test
- 3 Earn @ $10/audio hour
- Home-based job, work at your convenience
- $10/audio hour pay rate, USD
- Short files, 6 minutes or less
- 2 hours TAT for each file
- Promotion to Reviewer if performance is good
- Monthly Bonus of $5 for every 3 hours completed
- No obligations, no monthly commitments or withdrawal limits
- We don't assign; instead you pick and choose the files to work on
Scribie.com offers a great opportunity to augment your income with a home-based online transcription job. You can enroll with us as a freelance transcriber and earn hourly for the work done. You just need to go through a test process and get certified as a transcriber. Once certified we will pay you for the files you transcribe and/or review on Scribie.com. You can choose the files you want to work on and check the quality before selecting. For each file completed your account will be credited with the amount applicable (eg. $1 for a 6 minute file). The earnings can be withdrawn to your PayPal account anytime. There are no monthly commitments, obligations or minimum withdrawal limits. Payments are made promptly and you may delete your account anytime you wish.
If you are an experienced transcriber and have spare time, then Scribie.com can help you to fill that up. If you are starting your career as a transcriptionist then you can gain valuable experience and hone your skills on Scribie.com.
We have transcribed more than 1,056,027.28 minutes of audio and have paid around $377,241.67 to 8615 certified transcribers (browse profiles).
Verified PayPal Account
We send payments via PayPal and we require a Verified PayPal account in order to be eligible for this program. It is a necessary requirement and cannot be relaxed. In order to verify your PayPal account, it has to be linked to a bank account and/or credit card depending upon your country. Please check the PayPal FAQ for the exact process. If you do not have a PayPal account already then please sign up for one and get it verified before applying. It is free to sign up for PayPal.
This requirement is specifically to ensure that you are able to receive the money when we transfer your earnings to your PayPal account. A Verified PayPal account indicates that you are able to successfully transfer your earnings to a bank account eventually. It also helps us save on support costs for payments related issues.
You can specify any PayPal account as long as it's Verified and not in use already. It can also be changed later on. The PayPal account is not used for any purpose other than funds transfer. We do not support any other payment methods currently.
Our transcription process consists of following steps.
1. File Splitting: In the first step, the audio file is split at 6 minute intervals.
2. Raw Transcription: In this step, the audio for each part file is played back and transcribed as accurately and cleanly as possible. The incomprehensible parts are marked with blanks.
3. Review: During Review, the Raw Transcript is checked for correctness and quality. The audio file is played back again and each transcribed word is checked against the audio. The blanks are filled, if possible. Timestamps and speaker tracking are also added at this stage.
4. Proofreading: In this step all part files are collated together and the combined transcript is checked against the audio once more.
5. Quality Check: In the last step, the transcript is quality checked and either delivered to the customer or re-proofread.
The Freelance Transcription Program is applicable at steps 2 and 3, namely Raw Transcription and Review. It enables a certified transcriber to select part files and submit raw transcripts and/or review them. This system is fully online and it manages certification, file allocation, submission tracking, performance tracking and payments among other things. This system is designed to minimize the time and effort required for transcription and maximize the transcript quality.
A detailed description of our process is available here.
We pay $10 per audio hour for Raw Transcription and Review. Audio hour means that you are paid for the amount of audio you transcribe and not for the actual time spent working on it. Therefore for a 6 minute file you will be paid $1. The earnings are credited to your Scribie.com account once your submission is reviewed and it accumulates there. It can be withdrawn to your PayPal account anytime from your Scribie.com account. There is no minimum withdrawal limit and the funds will be sent to your PayPal account in 1 business day.
There are no application fees or any other charges.
We pay a monthly bonus of $5 for every 3 hours completed each month. The bonus is paid at the 1st day of each calendar month and it includes all submissions which have been reviewed in the previous calendar month. Three hours each month equates to around one 6 minute file each day. Therefore if you submit 6 minutes of raw transcripts or reviews each day, your monthly earnings will be $40 including the bonus payment.
There is no limit on the number of files you can submit each day. Therefore the bonus amount depends solely on your ability. For example, your monthly earnings will be $40 if you submit 6 minutes each day, $400 if you submit 1 hour each day, $800 if you submit 2 hours each day and so on.
Please note that since the files are always 6 minutes or shorter, you can select files whenever you have some free time to spare in between other tasks. You can also select the files any time during the day.
Referral & Affiliate
You can increase your earnings further by referring other transcribers and/or customers to us. We will pay a 10% affiliate commission to you for each transcript order placed by a referred customer. For referred transcribers, we will pay a 5% referral commission to you on their direct earnings. There is no limit on the amount you can earn from referral or affiliate commissions.
We encourage you to promote your Scribie.com profile on your blog, Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites. The profile page has referral/affiliate codes embedded in it. Anyone who applies as a transcriber or orders a transcript after visiting your profile page will be automatically marked as your referral.
The certification process consists of several steps. A summary is provided below.
Wait For Invite
Submit Test File
1. Application Submission: The first step is to submit your application from the Apply tab. You will be given an application number after the submission is complete. You can track your application using the number provided from the Apply tab.
2. Email Confirmation: To confirm your email address we will send an email to the address provided with a link. Please visit the link in your browser to complete the submission. You can request a re-send of the confirmation email or delete the application and re-apply if you made a mistake with the email address.
3. Wait List Allocation: Your application will be reviewed within 1 business day and either accepted or rejected. You will be notified of this via email. If rejected you can delete and re-apply. If accepted you will be added to the waiting list for the test. You can track your waiting list number with your application number from the Apply tab. There are 0 applicants on the waiting list currently and the estimated waiting period is 1 days.
4. Test Invitation: We will invite you to take the test when your waiting list number reaches zero. The invitation will be sent to your email address and will contain a link. Visiting the link in your browser will prompt you to create an account on Scribie.com. Creating the account requires you to choose a password, which along with your email address can subsequently be used to login to Scribie.com. Account creation is required only once and you can delete your account anytime.
5. Test File Submission: Once you login to your account, you will be presented with a list of files. You have to choose one of the files, transcribe it and submit the transcript. The submission will be first screened to check if it is adequate and it may get re-assigned to you at this stage. If re-assigned you will be notified via email. Therefore please watch out for an email regarding that after you have submitted your test file.
6. Certification: When your submission is accepted for review, a review-by date will be assigned for the file. Depending upon the results of the review you will either be certified as a transcriber (and paid for the test file) or rejected. If rejected, you may compare the differences between your submission and the reviewed file, enable re-test and submit another test file. The maximum number of attempts is 10.
After you have been certified, you can login to your Scribie.com account with your email address and password and select any of the available files. Files are available on a first-come, first-serve basis and assigned to the first person who selects them. You can select as many files as you want but you can have only one assigned file at a time. The assignments have to be submitted within 2 hours with one allowed extension for an hour. You may also cancel your assignment or report it as bad quality after selecting. There are no penalties for cancellation or timeouts.
Your account will be credited with the respective dollar amount for the file once the submission is reviewed. Each file has review-by date and the review will be completed on or before that date. The earnings keep accumulating on your account till you submit a withdrawal request to transfer the earnings to your PayPal account. All withdrawal requests are processed in 1 business day. There are no minimum limits on withdrawals. However a fee of 2% is charged if the amount is less than $30.
We also provide you with an certified profile page and a embeddable widget which you can display on your blog or website. The certificate accredits you as an audio transcriber on Scribie.com and lists your work experience and performance history. You can use this certificate as a reference for the transcription work done on Scribie.com, if required.
Grades & Promotions
We employ a grading system to track performance. The grades range from A+ (5/Excellent) to D (1/Poor) and are based on word error rates of the submission. The average grade reflects your performance. It is important to maintain a good average grade since you may be promoted or demoted based on it.
You may be promoted as a Reviewer after 1 audio hour of raw transcript submissions have been reviewed and your average grade is above 3.25. As a reviewer you can review Raw Transcript's submitted by other certified transcribers and grade them. You may be further promoted as a Self-Reviewer once 10 review submissions have been verified and your average grade is above 3.25. As a Self-reviewer you can select a Raw Transcript assignment, submit it, select the same file for Review and submit the reviewed file. Self-reviewing effectively doubles your payment rate.
Conversely, if your average grade falls below 2.75 you will not be able to select any files. However, your account will remain active and you can still accrue Referral and Affiliate commissions, if any.
We also provide a dispute resolution mechanism for incorrectly graded and/or reviewed files. The disputes are completely anonymous and are arbitrated by our administrators. Our final decision is binding.
The following are the guidelines for transcription. Please adhere to them strictly.
- The transcript SHOULD not contain text other than the spoken audio. No headers/footers, speaker tracking, time-codes, comments etcetera.
- No part of the audio SHOULD be omitted, unless specified otherwise.
- Inaudible parts SHOULD be omitted and marked with a blank
- Laughter SHOULD be omitted and marked with
...SHOULD be used to indicate unfinished sentences or mid-sentence pauses.
- Contractions such as
gonnaetcetera SHOULD be transcribed as spoken and not expanded.
- Numbers below ten SHOULD be transcribed in letters and numerals otherwise, except for measurements.
- Parts of audio not relevant to the discussion MAY be omitted and marked with
- The number of mistakes SHOULD not be greater than 2 for every 10 comprehensible words spoken in the audio.
- Each speaker's diction SHOULD begin on a new paragraph and paragraphs SHOULD be separated by an empty line.
- Filler words such as
I thinketcetera, false starts and stutters MAY be omitted, unless necessary, and SHOULD be included for strict verbatim files.
- Utterances SHOULD be omitted for non-strict verbatim files, unless necessary. For strict verbatim files, only the following utterances SHOULD be transcribed:
Mm-hmmif in agreement,
Uh-huhif in disagreement,
- SHOULD guidelines are mandatory, MAY guidelines are optional.
- The files are non-strict verbatim by default. Strict verbatim files will be specified as such by an instruction.
- Please report files which are blank or contain only background conversation, distortions etc. as bad audio from the dropdown menu next to the timer. Such files may be returned to the customer and earnings may be deducted.
The following is a sample transcript which illustrates the formatting required for raw transcripts. Please note the following:
- There is no speaker tracking, eg. Person 1/Person 2, Interviewer/Interviewee etc. The transcript only contains the speaker's diction.
- There are no timecodes. For parts which are inadible blanks have been left without any time-coding information of any sort.
- Each speaker's diction is on a separate pragraph, with an empty line in between.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please click on the question link to view the corresponding answer or click here to show all answers.
4. Transcription Test
- Click on the blue play button to listen online (requires latest version of Adobe Flash Plugin for your browser) and choose one of the files.
- For the chosen file click on the 'Select' button. It will open the Editor where it can be transcribed.
- Press F10 and listen for 5 seconds.
- Press F10 again to pause. Type what was said in the text box provided.
- Repeat the process for the rest of the file. Press F7 to go back and F12 to insert a blank for inaudible parts.
- A spellcheck is mandatory and will be started automatically on submit. Please complete the spell check to proceed with the submission.
- On submission, your transcript will be compared with our version and the differences will be shown. Study the diff carefully.
- Please use a supported browser; latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox with latest Adobe Flash plugin.
- Please note that these files are provided for practice and are not representative of the actual test files. Actual test files are much harder.