Client Version 188.8.131.52
This is a major update of the client. The UI has been completely revamped and moved to the browser. Clicking on the history menu item or the configuration menu item now opens the default browser window. It adds quite a lot of options on searching/sorting/filtering of the call records. Here are few screenshots of it.
The recordings page shows all the records found on the local machine in the main area. Upto 10 records can be listed at a time and pages are shown for navigation. Clicking on the play button launches an inbuilt flash player which plays back the file. Clicking on the show details link reveals all the metadata of the call records (eg. date recorded, size, duration etc.). The rename and edit tags link can be used to edit the details. The upload link queues the files for upload (only if your client is associated). The delete link removes the record from your machine.
The sidebar shows the options for batch file operations, searching, sorting and filtering. Now multiple records can be selected at a time and either deleted or queued for upload. The records can also be sorted in ascending/descending order of time, size and duration. The default is newest. The search dialog can be used to locate a record by name or tags. The filter can be used to narrow down the listing by a specific criteria (the possible ones are duration, size, uploaded, date and recorded by).
The cool thing is that search, filter and sorting and be applied one after the other, in any order. So you can locate a call record by name ‘echo’ recorded on a ‘Sunday’ and ordered by ‘increasing duration’.
The configuration page is an exact replica of the the configuration dialog. It has five tabs, for general options, update settings, recording params, association and advanced. Each of these tabs show a subset of the settings in that particular group.
This is our first step in integrating the desktop client with our web application. Going forward it will be a seamless experience. All the services offered by our web application (sharing, transcribing etc.) will now be delivered through this particular interface.
Apart from the UI change, several bug fixes also went into this release. One of the major bug fix was the issue of connection getting lost between the client and Skype because of which the calls would not get recorded automatically. Now we have added a keep alive mechanism to keep the connection going.
Another major bug fix was the long startup time it used to take if you had a large number of call records stored. That used to happen because of the flat xml file database we used earlier. Now we have moved to sqlite database. So once all your files are migrated, the next startup will be very fast.
Please update now. And please send us your feedback on the UI changes.
Update: Here’s a detailed post on the technology behind the browser based UI. Have a look if you have questions regarding it.